Directors/SupervisorsNutrition Director - Napa Valley Unified School District
Child Nutrition Supervisor ll - Nutrition Services Division
Director of Child Nutrition Servies - Moorpark Unified School District
Submit a Job Opportunity for Posting
For additional job listings try EdJoin.org using the search words Food Service or Child Nutrition.
Napa Valley Unified School DistrictNutrition Director
Closing Date: March 03, 2017
Job Description: Napa Valley Unified School District Position Description
Position: District Nutrition Director Classified Management
Department/Site: Food Service
Reports to: Assistant Superintendent of Business Services
The District Nutrition Director, under the direct supervision of the Assistant Superintendent of Business Services or designee, will oversee all aspects of the District's Child Nutrition Program (CNP), assuring cost effectiveness and compliance with District, State and Federal requirements regarding nutrition, sanitation, safety and record keeping.
Distinguishing Career Features
The job functions include administering, planning, assessing, implementing and evaluating the program in order to meet the nutritional and educational needs of children, as they relate to the CNP. The Director will work with partners within the school district and community to develop a CNP which supports healthy food habits while maintaining program integrity, customer satisfaction and fiscal solvency.
Job Responsibility: Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare and administer a departmental budget;
- Assist in the development and administration of an annual operating budget for food services to include subsidy and other income projections;
- Control, authorize, limit and monitor food services expenditures;
- Evaluate existing policies for efficiency and implement or modify procedures to increase operational effectiveness;
- Consult with the Food and Nutrition Operations Assistant to establish or revise operational policies;
- Implement management information systems that increase the productivity and efficiency of the school food and nutrition operation;
- Supervise the purchasing of food, supplies and equipment;
- Establish and maintain sanitation, quality, and nutritional standards;
- Confer with Fiscal Services, Purchasing, Warehouse, Maintenance and Operations, and Personnel Department representatives to coordinate functions with Food Service Operations;
- Attend a variety of workshops, trainings and meetings to maintain current knowledge of food service practices, nutritional requirements, legal codes and related requirements and coordinate response to changing requirements;
- Meet with and/or conduct and facilitate meetings addressing a variety of groups, including employees, school administrators, officials of public agencies, and community organizations to disseminate information regarding the District's food service program;
- Prepare and present reports to committees of the Board of Education and other interested parties;
- Establish role of the CNP as a resource in the development and presentation of nutrition education materials and activities;
- Plan and evaluate breakfast and lunch menus following established guidelines and patterns;
- Direct nutrition and quality evaluation to ensure nutritional adequacy and dietary balance;
- Recommend price and portion schedules for meals and other food services operations;
- Direct the development of food and equipment specifications, procurement requirements, and the testing of new food service, products, supplies, and equipment including the reviewing bids, making purchases and making recommendations as appropriate;
- Develop a marketing plan to attract students, parents, teachers, administrators, support staff and community;
- Implement market research techniques to measure student demand for products;
- Develop application process and procedures under the free and reduced meal program;
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure environmental responsibility;
- Participate in the selection, assignment and evaluation of food service personnel;
- Administer discipline and handle grievances in conjunction with established District policy;
- Process informal and formal complaints;
- Perform other related duties as assigned to achieve the objectives of the position.
The District Nutrition Director must have knowledge of organization and direction of a large scale Food and Nutrition Department including principles of financial management, markets, food sources, merchandising principles, food pricing, portion control and methods of computing food quantities and qualities. The Director must have knowledge of food production and safety practices as they relate to preparation, service, transportation, distribution and storage. The position requires knowledge of safe and proper use of equipment, machines and utensils used in large quantity food preparation operations including knowledge of computerized lunch program software. It is essential that the Director has knowledge of nutritional food values allowing for the planning of menus that provide a balanced diet that meets the nutritional requirement of students at all grade levels. Knowledge of all applicable state and Federal laws, regulations, codes, policies, and procedures related to child nutrition programs is required.
The District Nutrition Director must have the ability to develop and implement policies and procedures to enhance food services operations and direct the District schools nutrition program, including planning of nutritious and appetizing menus. The position requires the ability to provide leadership in nutrition education and food service. The ability to supervise a large number of employees through secondary management staff and evaluate performance of assigned staff is required. The ability to plan, organize and direct the activities of others toward a predetermined goal and to work effectively with persons at all levels is essential. It is necessary for the Director to have the ability to develop collaborative relationships with site administrators, colleagues, teachers, parents and community organizations. The position requires the understanding of and sensitivity related to diverse academic, socioeconomic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disabilities and sexual orientation of students, faculty and staff and promotion of workplace diversity and a positive work environment.
Requires sufficient visual acuity to read and interpret detailed printed materials and documents and observe work, auditory ability to carry on conversations in person with large audiences, one-on-one, and over the phone; capacity to speak in an understandable voice with sufficient volume to be heard in normal conversations; arm, hand and finger dexterity to write, operate a keyboard, operate office equipment, and sufficient strength to lift twenty-five pounds.
Education and Experience
*Bachelor's degree with academic major/areas of concentration in one or more of the following: food and nutrition, food service management, dietetics, family and consumer sciences, nutrition education, culinary arts, business; or a related field.
*Three years of management experience required
*Five years of paid experience in preparing food in a school, commercial or institutional operation serving multiple sites is required.
Working Conditions: Work includes duties in District, school site and food service facility environments.
Job Requirement: District application available at www.nvusd.l12.ca.us or you may apply on edjoin.org
Please provide district application, 3 letters of recommendation (2 personal [non-relative] and 1 from a past or present employer) and a current resume.
Contact: DeDe Lockett
Napa Valley Unified School District
back to top ^
Nutrition Services DivisionChild Nutrition Supervisor ll
Closing Date: February 27, 2017
- Manage regional supervisors who oversee outstationed Child Nutrition Consultants and Child Nutrition Assistants conducting compliance reviews, vendor reviews, management and technical reviews, and workshops
- Develop statewide compliance monitoring procedures and policies for all agencies in California participating in the CNPs to ensure statewide consistency in the review process in accordance with federal and state regulations
- Collaborate with the Southern Field Services Unit CNS II to prepare and monitor the administrative review and technical assistance workload to maximize productivity and ensure timely completion of mandated activities
- Interpret the complex regulations and policies affecting the CNPs to staff to ensure statewide consistency and compliance with federal and state laws
- Collaborate with other Nutrition Services Division units and departmental programs in the implementation of NFSU responsibilities
Job Requirement: DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: Must be willing to travel. Ability to effectively communicate with a diverse population.
WHO MAY APPLY: Individuals who are eligible for all methods of appointment may be considered (e.g., list appointment, transfer, re-instatement, surplus, State Restriction of Appointments [SROA], reemployment, Training and Development assignment). Preference given to candidates with CNP knowledge and experience, as well as Registered Dietitians. For information on how to obtain list eligibility, please visit the CalHR Web site at http://www.jobs.ca.gov/. All applicants must clearly indicate the basis for their eligibility in the "Explanations" section on the Standard State Application Form (STD. 678). Applications will be screened and only the most qualified candidates will be interviewed.
CANDIDATES MUST BE ON THE CERTIFICATION LIST BY PASSING THE EXAM PRIOR TO APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION. THE EXAM CAN BE FOUND AT THE FOLLOWING LINK: HTTP://WWW.CDE.CA.GOV/RE/DI/JB/SSOEXAM.ASP.
Contact: Sylvia Honton
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Suite 4503
Sacramento, CA 95814
back to top ^
Moorpark Unified School DistrictDirector of Child Nutrition Servies
Closing Date: February 27, 2017
Job Description: Administer nutrition programs
- Recruit, hire, and retain high functioning kitchen teams
- Train, coach, and develop team members
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with school district administration and staff
- Supervise the production and service of meals and special events
- Purchase food and supplies, manage inventory, and maintain a strong cost management environment
- Manage a balanced food service budget
- Maintain a safe work environment
- Comply with federal, state and local regualtions
Job Requirement: Possession of a ServSafe Certificate and valid and appropriate California Driver's License
Applications will be accepted until 4 p.m. on Monday, February 27, 2017
*Letter of Application
*District Application Form
*Three Current Profession Letters of Reference
Contact: Cathy Drake, Director of Classified Personnel
Moorpark Unified School District
5297 Maureen Lane
Moorpark, CA 93021
back to top ^