ManagersDirector Food Services - Food Services Department
Submit a Job Opportunity for Posting
For additional job listings try EdJoin.org using the search words Food Service or Child Nutrition.
Food Services DepartmentDirector Food Services
Closing Date: January 26, 2020
Job Description: Title: Director Food Services
Salary Schedule Range: 23 (Management Salary Schedule)
Purpose of Position: To plan, organize and lead the development and operation of the District's food service programs.
Reporting: Reports to the Assistant Superintendent, Business Services
Employment Status: Full-time (FLSA Exempt)
Location: District Administration
Job Responsibility: Essential Functions:
- Direct food service programs in compliance with Federal, State and local laws, regulations, health ordinances and District policies.
- Provide technical expertise, information and assistance to the Assistant Superintendent, Business Services, regarding food service operations; assist in the formulation and development of programs and initiatives to assure an economical, sustainable, safe and efficient work environment; advise the Assistant Superintendent of unusual trends or problems and recommend appropriate corrective action.
- Supervise, evaluate, coach, and mentor assigned personnel, determine staffing requirements, and provide training and professional development for assigned personnel.
- Develop and manage a department budget, analyze revenues and expenditures, and determine appropriate meal pricing.
- Coordinate and implement menu and recipe preparation functions; assure that meal offerings provide nutritional content that meet or exceed US dietary standards.
- Collaborate frequently with school principals and District staff regarding facilities, programs and personnel.
- Develop marketing strategies to increase student participation in the food service program, and/or to become vendor of choice for neighboring districts or community organizations.
- Identify equipment and infrastructure needs, nurture and develop local sources of supply for food products.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Indoor work environment. Some travel between District schools and facilities.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone; seeing to read a variety of documents; sitting for extended periods of time; walking; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate office equipment; intermittent bending, stooping or reaching overhead to retrieve or store materials; occasional lifting of equipment or materials weighing up to 15 pounds; driving a vehicle to conduct business activities.
Job Requirement: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the USDA National School Lunch Program, nutritional standards and needs of children, and the fundamental practices of an institutional food service operation.
- Knowledge of large-scale food preparation, handling and presentation.
- Knowledge of contemporary management and supervision practices and techniques, team building, coaching and mentoring, performance appraisal and professional learning.
- Ability to organize and monitor the purchasing, transportation, distribution and storage of food and related supplies.
- Ability to produce a variety of narrative and statistical reports related to food service activities and personnel.
- Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with school principals, District staff, and County Public Health Department.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with constituents and stakeholders.
- Ability to devise solutions to complex problems in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to operate a computer, tablet, and proprietary or mass market software and applications.
Bachelor or Master's degree in nutrition, dietetics, culinary arts, institutional food management or related field, and five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in the administration of a large-scale food service operation.
Valid California driver's license.
Valid Food Safety certification.
Contact: Santa Barbara Unified School District
Human Resources Department
720 Santa Barbara Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
back to top ^