StaffFood Service Program Specialist - Apple Valley Unified School District
Submit a Job Opportunity for Posting
For additional job listings try EdJoin.org using the search words Food Service or Child Nutrition.
Apple Valley Unified School DistrictFood Service Program Specialist
Closing Date: March 21, 2018
Job Description: BASIC FUNCTION
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform a variety of responsible accounting and technical duties in Food Service Program areas including but not limited to: budget, bookkeeping, accounts payable, accounts receivable, purchasing, inventory control, equipment and report preparation. In a lead capacity; plan, organize and coordinate day-to-day activities and projects in the Central Services Food Service Office. Establish priorities, organize work flow and communication between staff, School sites, District offices, parents and others.; maintain complex records and files related to Food Service programs, policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following: Incumbents in the classification may not perform all of these tasks or may perform similar related tasks not listed here.
- Analyze and prepare technical financial records and reports, including but not limited to federal, state and county grants, entitlements, categorical programs and other Food Service programs. (E1)
- Maintain and track equipment inventory; order office supplies and report equipment malfunctions. (E1)
- Maintain financial records related to accounts receivable, accounts payable, budget and other Food Services programs. (E1)
- Maintain, audit and post all schools cash reports, invoices and bank deposits; prepare and maintain appropriate records and reports. (E1)
- Monitor financial practices and activity for accuracy and compliance with the various Food Service program mandates. (E1)
- Perform responsible and diverse administrative support duties; provide work direction and guidance to assigned clerical staff. (E1)
- Prepare all claims for monthly reimbursement; prepare and post all invoices for payment, obtaining necessary signatures and maintain related files. (E1)
- Prepare, review, verify, balance, control, reconcile and maintain a variety of reports, records, ledgers and forms, ensuring completeness and accuracy. (E1)
- Process, prepare and audit invoices, receipts, purchase orders, equipment and services in support of the Food Services department. (E1)
- Provide assistance and information to Business Services staff regarding Food Service budgets, accounts and programs; review and process payroll data. (E1)
- Verify eligibility for benefits of National School Meals Programs and prepare status reports; interpret and apply appropriate District, Federal and State laws. (E1)
- Assist in the development of the annual Food Service budget. (E2)
- Attend meetings, seminars and conferences on the myriad of national and state Food Service programs. (E2)
- Communicate with and provide information to parents and community members on Food Service programs and requirements. (E2)
- Evaluate and monitor sensitive situations involving students and parent(s) or guardian(s). (E2)
- Operate a variety of office equipment including typewriter, calculator, copier, computer terminal and facsimile machine. (E2)
- Prepare, type and maintain a variety of documents, memos, letters, files, records and lists. (E2)
- Research and resolve complex accounting and administrative problems and issues. (E2)
- Assist in preparation of Meal applications and oversee accuracy of submissions for compliance with Federal and State regulations. (E3)
- Assist with training of new Food Service Cashiers as needed.
- Coordinate appointments and communications with others regarding Food Service department activities. (E3)
- Operate and drive vehicle in support of essential duties; observe legal and defensive driving practices. (E3)
- Process incoming and outgoing mail.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
The requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, skills and abilities required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from High School or equivalent. Associates Degreee preferred.
- Four (4) years experience in business accounting and/or program management combined with two (2) years experience involving public contact, complex record-keeping and data entry in a public education Food Services department required.
Any combination of education, training, and/or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential duties may be substituted for the required experience and/or education.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- A certificate stating freedom from Tuberculosis.
- A valid California Drivers License.
- Current DMV printout.
- Insurable by District liability insurance carrier.
- Valid First Aid Certification preferred.
- Valid CPR Certification preferred.
- Accounting principles, practices and procedures.
- Basic governmental accounting principles, practices, procedures and terminology.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Data processing and computer applications for accounting functions.
- District organization, operations, policies and objectives.
- Financial and statistical record-keeping.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Office management techniques.
- Operation and use of a personal computer and software programs
- Operation of business and office machines.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Public relations techniques.
- Research techniques.
- Telephone techniques and etiquette.
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide correctly.
- Analyze complex and technical financial documents and budgets.
- Apply bookkeeping and financial record-keeping principles to the maintenance of assigned accounting and purchasing records.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Communicate positively with children and adults.
- Compare numbers and detect errors efficiently.
- Count cash and make change quickly and accurately.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Establish and revise priorities as needed to accomplish accounting and clerical assignments.
- Follow federal, state and District regulations and procedures related to the free/reduced lunch program.
- Interpret, apply and explain rules regulations and policies.
- Keyboard/type at a corrected speed of 50 words per minute net.
- Learn to apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Maintain effective working relationships with other people.
- Maintain financial and statistical records, monitor budget accounts.
- Make arithmetic computations with speed and accuracy.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Operate a PC and related software.
- Operate calculator and standard office equipment.
- Operate cash register.
- Operate standard office machines such as typewriter, calculator, copier, facsimile machine, personal computer and software.
- Organize and perform work in a timely and effective manner.
- Perform office management and accounting duties.
- Perform statistical typing accurately.
- Perform technical accounting work.
- Plan, organize and work independently.
- Prepare and maintain routine or complex records and reports related to food service sales.
- Sit and drive in a vehicle.
- Stay current with all laws and regulations relating to essential duties.
- Train and provide work direction to others.
- Work confidentially with discretion.
- Work independently.
- Bending or twisting at the waist.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
- Lift or move up to 35 pounds.
- Operating a computer keyboard for extended periods of time.
- Seeing to read and compose written materials.
- Sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
- Walk over rough or uneven surfaces.
- Indoor and outdoor environment.
- Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
- Occasionally works evenings or weekends.
- School or District office environment.
- Subject to demanding time lines and constant interruptions.
- Extended viewing of computer monitor.
- Noise level is usually moderate.
- Sitting or standing for an extended period of time.
Job Responsibility: All required documentation MUST be submitted and attached to the application in order to be considered and to move forward in the hiring process. Failure to attach ALL documentation required will result in disqualification.
Candidates selected for appointment are required to be fingerprinted at the employee's expense and must receive DOJ and FBI clearance before beginning work. Employees must be physically and mentally able to perform the essential duties of the position without hazard to themselves or others.
Job Requirement: REQUIRED
- A Completed Application
- Current Resume
- A minimum of three (3) Professional References (provided on application)
- A minimum of two (2) Letters of Recommendation (signed and dated within one year)
- A Certificate showing the ability to type a minimum of 50 words per minute (3 - 5 minute test)
- Current DMV Printout (dated within the past 30 days)(Can be obtained through dmv.ca.gov)
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- First Aid/CPR certification
- Associates Degree
Contact: Jamie Shores
Apple Valley Unified School District
760-247-8001 ext 1341
Applicant's must complete an application through Edjoin.org (https://www.edjoin.org/Home/JobPosting/1017177)
back to top ^