StaffFood and Nutrition Warehouse Specialist - Poway Unified School District
Nutrition Specialist - Paramount Unified School District
Submit a Job Opportunity for Posting
For additional job listings try EdJoin.org using the search words Food Service or Child Nutrition.
Poway Unified School DistrictFood and Nutrition Warehouse Specialist
Closing Date: April 15, 2014
Job Description: BASIC FUNCTION:
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, is responsible for the operation of the Food and Nutrition Warehouse; performs a variety of storekeeping duties which include receiving, inspecting, storing, rotating, safekeeping, and distributing food, equipment, and supplies; maintains accountability and monitors shelf life of stock; ensures proper storage temperatures are maintained; performs assembly, maintenance, and repair of food and nutrition equipment.
Job Responsibility: REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES:
- Receive, record and inspect shipments for temperature, damage, and conformity to purchase order specifications and packing slips; contact vendors regarding shortages, damaged goods, or other discrepancies; report shortages and discrepancies to supervisor. E
- Shelve and store food, equipment, and supplies received in the appropriate section of the warehouse; ensure that food items are stored in a manner to protect them from spoilage, infestation, damage, or other conditions that may jeopardize food safety and wholesomeness. E
- Maintain purchased and USDA foods in sanitary conditions, at the proper temperature, and with adequate air circulation. E
- Conduct monthly and periodic physical inventories of all food and supply items; monitor on hand stock and reports to ensure that sufficient items are on-hand to meet department needs. E
- Use the first-in first-out (FIFO) inventory system; check manufacturers code dates; mark food cases/containers with the date of receipt; ensure rotation of stock for optimal food freshness. E
- Receive and process daily requisitions from school sites; review and fill orders according to established procedures; pick and stage food and supply orders for timely delivery to sites. E
- Input inventories and other information into an assigned computer system; establish and maintain automated records and files; initiate queries, develop spreadsheets and generate various computerized reports and documents. E
- Operate a variety of machines and equipment including delivery trucks with tailgate lifts, forklifts, reach truck (aisle stacker), pallet jack, scale, hand trucks, and other warehouse equipment as needed. E
- Coordinate service, repair, and preventive maintenance of all food and nutrition equipment and facilities; ensure work/repair orders are processed; work closely with mechanics and maintenance personnel to facilitate repairs/services; contact service companies as appropriate. E
- Arrange for repair and preventive maintenance of delivery vehicles; notify mechanics of mechanical problems and servicing needs; test drive vehicles following repair and servicing. E
- Perform minor maintenance, assembly, and repair of food and nutrition equipment, i.e., serving carts; contact manufacturers for warranty repair work; order spare parts for repairs; tag and inscribe equipment as required. E
- Assist in developing and adjusting food and nutrition delivery schedules, routes, and time lines in accordance with school site and production kitchen needs. E
- Communicate with District personnel and outside agencies to exchange information, coordinate activities, and resolve issues or concerns related to purchase orders, pickup and deliveries, shipping and receiving, maintenance and repairs, and other assigned activities. E
- Maintain the warehouse in a clean, orderly, safe, and secure condition; assure food service storage areas are in compliance with applicable food and safety laws, rules, and regulations. E
- Serve as Delivery Driver in the absence of the regular driver.
- Perform related duties as assigned
NOTE: At the end of some of the duty statements, there is an "E" which identifies essential duties required of the classification.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Warehouse procedures, requisitions, purchase orders, invoices, and delivery slips.
- Methods used in receiving, storing, issuing, and inventorying.
- Storage and rotation of perishable foods.
- Equipment and supplies used in food and nutrition programs.
- Health and safety regulations.
- Proper methods of loading and unloading delivery vehicles.
- Operation of equipment and machines used in receiving, storing and shipping of food, supplies and equipment.
- Proper lifting techniques.
- Space utilization and inventory techniques.
- Record-keeping and report preparation techniques.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Plan and organize work.
- Set up and operate a central warehouse.
- Operate a forklift, reach truck (aisle stacker), pallet lift and up to 4-ton delivery vehicles safely.
- Operate a computer and assigned software.
- Prioritize and schedule work; meet schedules and timelines.
- Maintain records of food supplies and equipment.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Inspect deliveries to assure accurate quantities, temperatures, and quality of food items and supplies.
- Monitor and maintain adequate inventory levels of food items and supplies.
- Assure perishable foods are dated, stored, and rotated properly.
- Read and understand packing codes, best if used by date, and other expiration code dates.
- Load and unload shipments of food items and supplies.
- Follow HACCP, Cal/OSHA safety, and County Health Department rules and regulations.
- Maintain consistent, punctual, and regular attendance.
- Speak, read, and write English at a level required for satisfactory performance.
- Understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Job Requirement: EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from high school and two years of experience in storekeeping activities in a large food and nutrition organization, including receiving, sorting, issuing and inventory control.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid California Class B driver's license with air brakes endorsement.
- Valid Medical Examiner's Certificate.
- Valid forklift certificate within 60 days of hire.
- Valid Food Safety and Sanitation Manager Certificate within 30 days of hire.
Contact: If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit:
back to top ^
Paramount Unified School DistrictNutrition Specialist
Closing Date: April 14, 2014
Job Description: Salary: $5,589 - $6,610 per month
Under the direction of the Director of Student Nutrition Services, develop, plan and prepare menus and menu specifications to provide quality, nutritionally balanced meals in accordance with Federal and State laws and regulations; perform nutritional analysis; promote nutrition wellness and nutrition education programs within the District.
Job Responsibility: KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
Principles and practices of large scale food service management, food preparation, and program administration; Nutritional requirements of school-aged children; Menu planning to satisfy nutritional and budgetary goals; Menu development, analysis and planning techniques including food values, combinations, allergies and substitutions; Sanitation and safety practices related to the handling and serving of food; Student Nutrition Services organization, operation, policies and objectives; Applicable laws, codes, rules and regulations related to assigned activities; Record-keeping and report preparation techniques; Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy; Mathematical computations.
Plan, coordinate and participate in the District menu planning and development of recipes; Analyze food products and menu patterns; Prepare clear, concise and accurate reports; Plan and conduct educational or training programs related to nutrition; Interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures; Work independently with little direction; Maintain records and files; Drive a vehicle to conduct work; Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others; Communicate effectively both orally and in writing; Operate a variety of office equipment including a computer and assigned software.
Job Requirement: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in nutrition, dietetics, public health, or a closely related field and two years experience in an institutional food service organization involving menu planning, nutritional analysis and procurement of food items, supplies and equipment.
Licenses and other Requirements:
Valid California driver's license and use of a personal automobile. An applicant for this class will be required to obtain, at his/her own expense, and submit his/her motor vehicle driving record at the time of appointment. The record must meet and be maintained at the district's safe driving record standard. Failure to meet this requirement will result in the disqualification of the applicant. Active status as a Registered Dietitian is preferred.
Contact: Requires completed District Classified Application. Applications are available at: PARAMOUNT UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT, Human Resources Division, 15110 California Avenue, Paramount, CA 90723. Or you may download a district application at www.paramount.k12.ca.us.
back to top ^